The White House on Sunday insisted that people in the latest attack on U.S. forces by Afghan colleagues will not distract NATO in its mission to provide training to local forces so that they can leave the country in 2014.
Vice President Barack Obama’s spokesman, Josh Earnest, said the officials had been aware of the details the latest attack, which occurred after NATO forces resume activity after a review of operations with Afghan forces, triggered by a series of incidents that called the incident “in the attack.”
“Do not be misunderstood … these attacks do not alter any of the president’s commitment, the commitment of our troops there or commitments of our allies to continue and successfully complete the mission to end the war in Afghanistan in 2014, “he added.
Earnest said that the United States and its allies have taken steps to reduce the risk of insider attacks, including a greater examination of the Afghan forces.
His comments came hours after a battle between NATO troops and Afghan allies of his that killed five people in a situation that is not clear.
A NATO soldier, a civilian contractor and three Afghan soldiers were killed in a shootout on Saturday night in Wardak province, west of Kabul, said the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) transatlantic alliance.
“What was initially reported that a man in a suspected attack, can now be understood is a shootout,” said the deputy commander of ISAF, Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw in a press conference that fast.
The incident is still under investigation.
A spokesman for the provincial police, Abdul Wali, told AFP that the shooting occurred after a “verbal dispute” between the two sides.
Deputy Defense Ministry spokesman, Gen. Daulat Waziri, said that the incident was a result of a “misunderstanding,” adding that it was investigating who was involved in the shooting.